Tuesday, January 10, 2006

trying to be a better me

I don't like New Years Eve, really anything about it, but I did make a resolution this year that I feel strongly about keeping;

I am not going to support Starbucks any more.

Why? Well, mainly, I think there are too many of them. Anyone who has stood at the corner of Robson and Thurlow in Vancouver, trying to decide which Starbucks to go to, knows what I mean. There are now two locations in Kerrisdale, on the same street, just 2 blocks apart. A new Starbucks sprung up in place of the old pet food store on Arbutus and Valley Dr, after most of the stores there never re-opened their doors after a devastating fire in the Schezuan restaurant in that little strip. A new Starbucks on the corner of 16th and MacDonald, in the new retail complex where I cannot remember what was there before they started building. Nothing, perhaps? And on UBC campus, there are at least 4 locations that I know of, and they are all busy, all the time.

I'm sure it will make no impact whatsoever, the absence of my occasional $5 Chai tea latte, or $2.62 London Fog, but I feel strongly about my $2.62 going to support the little guy instead of the jolly green giant.

In further efforts to reduce, reuse, and recycle, I'm attempting to always have my travel mug handy, make my beverages at home or work and use my handy thermos, take my own plates/bowls/tupperware to take out places when I go to them, which isn't often, buy more from bulk food places and take my containers with me to fill up on location to reduce packaging, and drive my car less when possible.

Kudos go to Xta, who has chosen to continue to feed her Starbucks addiction (grande tazo chai, no water, no foam . . .) but not unless she has a travel mug. No mug = no drink. Horray!

Every little bit counts, right?

3 comments:

Christa Giles said...

Right! I'm also trying to keep to 1 chai per every 12 hours.. so today's double-hit-due-to-duress was a steamed milk, so I don't readdict myself to the caffine... withdrawl headaches suck.

I was thinking of carrying a cloth napkin to hold my cookie or scone, instead of always getting a bag... I think my regular baristas would get it, but I'd prob get funny looks from the rest of them (apparently, reusing my drink-sticker is enough of an oddity...)

X.

Karyn said...

Speaking of coffee... (only my favorite topic in the universe!) I think we are supposed to go for some sometime...

And I have to suggest the Beanery as my favorite non-Starbucks coffee place on campus. It's run by this adorable couple, who give out chocolate covered almonds and/or fruit with their drinks (the more they know you the better the gift with purchase is!)

As for the Starbucks on 16th and MacDonald, there was nothing there before they built. If we go into the deep dark--I've been coming to UBC for way too long--recesses of my brain, I seem to think there was a gas station there long, long ago. Not a huge loss really.

Anonymous said...

I have developed a recent hatred of Starbucks. It's like I realized that just because I was having a tall extra hot decaf no vanilla half sweet no whip mocha, it didn't mean I was having a unique experience. Now I am wandering aimlessly in the desert of hot beverages with no Moses to lead me home. xoHT