Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The C Word

Is it really that offensive?

Based on the shocked looks on the faces of two of our dinner guests new years eve up at the cabin, when I landed on Park Place, with a hotel on it, during an extremely competitive game of Monopoly, and yelled out, "FUCKING CUNT!!!" in dismay, I suppose it is. The rest of our dinner party either live with me, work with me, or have spent considerable time with me under the influence of a couple of cocktails and well know it doesn't take much for me to start talking like a trucker.

I really consider the word FUCK to be an essential part of my vocabulary. It can be used in so many ways. An adjective; my fucking dog. A verb; fuck my dog. It can mean something bad; fuck you. It can mean something good; fuck me. It can explain confusion; what the fuck? It's just so fucking versatile.

My sister got me this great book for Christmas called Fuck This Book where someone has taken the word FUCK and pasted it over one or more words in a variety of signs. It's awesome.

But back to the C word. I think it's only so negative, harsh and offensive if we give it that power. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that theory applies to all words. There are certainly words out there with a historical context which I don't think are appropriate to be used at all, though the music industry tends to disagree with me. But the C word, CUNT, it is what it is. It's 4 letters, one vowel, three consonants. I don't think a word which is often used to refer to women's genitals should be treated with such taboo, because I think, quite frankly, our genitals are quite lovely.

2 comments:

Christa Giles said...

"our genitals are quite lovely"

I love the C word too...I tend to use it to describe my mood, if I am feeling snappy, snarly, bitchy, disagreeable and wanting to revel in it...

Don't think I've ever used it in a particularly positive sense, but maybe I'll work on it: "Hey! Nice trim job on the cunt there, baby!" ... Wait! Does it describe the WHOLE shebang, or just the inner, unneeding-of-trimming, bits? I always find this vocab so confusing...

The Cunt sketch was also my fav at the Vagina Monologues.. and if I remember correctly, it was performed by an Urban Yarns coworker of mine :)

"my cunt can hoop better than your cunt" :b

X.

kimberley said...

There's an entire episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm dedicated to the C word. Larry David yells "you CUNT!" or something along those lines during a GAME (oh the coincidence!), and upturns the life of a married man.

You should check out the show if you haven't. I think you'd like it.