Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Tribute

"It's a low-risk way to learn about investing, which is appealing to women," said Emily Trant, head of investor services for DigitalLook.com, which oversees the 12,000 ProShare investment clubs in Britain.

That is my sister. Yes, the same sister who I so hastily accused of blog ruining back in December. Clearly, the blog has not been ruined, as the blog goes on, and Emily admitted to me recently that she feels a little betrayed by the blog, since she so enjoys reading it, and it snipped at her a little. So I'd like to play a little tribute to my not so little sis.

There is an age difference of exactly 1 year, 3 months and 12 days between us, I being on the slightly older side, and she being on the slightly younger side, but the age difference is trivial. So trivial, indeed, I believe it caused an intense sibling rivalry which started the day she was born, and ran rampant for nearly 16 years, which was about when I moved out of the house. It rears it's ugly head every so often, but for the last 10 years or so we've gotten along reasonably well. Our mother blames herself for the trouble, and quite frankly, I blame her a little too. Her mistake, according to her, was not moving me into my 'big girl room' prior to bringing the new baby home from the hospital. Instead she brought the new baby home, put her in MY bed in MY room, and then proceeded to show me this new large place I'd be living in. I was, apparently, pretty pissed for a child of less than 16 months old, and seemingly, stayed pissed for most of my childhood and adolescence.

There are many moments from our childhood, adolescence and teenage years where I did and said things which were pretty mean, and I don't think we need to revisit those moments, although Emily is pretty good at re-telling them, particularly once she's had a few cocktails. I acknowledge the fact that I could, and still can be, a pretty mean person when I want to be.

The point is, having survived all those years with a horrific bitch of an older sister like me seems to have only made her stronger, and turned her into one of those annoying people (in the best possible way) who excels at absolutely EVERYTHING she does. (This is perhaps why I get so annoyed when she takes on an activity I enjoy, since I feel like I need SOMETHING that just I can be good at) So what has she done?

Well . . .

Played Ringette all through highschool and University, and I couldn't tell you whether she was any good at it because honestly, I never went to a game, but I know she had a butt-load of fun.

Put herself through University by lifeguarding, and graduated DEBT FREE with a degree in Economics (honours?)

Annoyed Olympic Swimmer Mark Johnston by being better at English than him

Was a second runner up in the Miss Iberostar Barlevento contest

Put a hole in the neighbour's garage by backing the trailer hitch of the van into it

Moved to London (England) after graduating to get herself out of her comfort zone and got a job doing some important investment related mumbo jumbo

Was so good at that they made her the head of some portion of said mumbo jumbo

Took up Rowing, and despite the ugly calloused man hands, is loving it, and of course kicking ass (sculling ass?)

Canoed the Bowring Lakes

Did the West Coast Trail

Has been traveling around countless places

Lit her hair on fire at the office Christmas party the first year she was working in London

I'm sure her proudest moments are yet to come, and whatever she chooses to do, she'll kick ass at it, cause that's just what she does.


Don't worry Pamela, I'll do you another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks blog, I feel like we're friends again.

Now I'm feeling guilty because it's been a while since I read you.

ET