Saturday, January 14, 2006

the bean craze goes on



I found this book on my Mom's book shelf and snagged it last night. She's out of the country right now, so what ev. It's AWESOME! So many beany recipes. Even cookies and muffins and breads with beans. It's not a totally veggie book, but I think the veggie sections are totally worthwhile. It's put out by the bean growers of Ontario, or something like that. Good people to support.

Last night I made the white bean stew a la Jill, a la Katie. Since I didn't have specific instructions, I winged a lot of it, so if Jill and I were to each freeze a portion of our stews and fed ex them to the other, I'm sure we'd have 2 entirely different, yet equally wonderful stews.

Here is what I did:

Sauteed 1 whole onion, and 3 cloves of garlic in the biggest pot I have. Add 1 1/4 cups of white wine, and 2 Tbsp tomato paste. Cook a little while. Add 2tsp crushed up fennel seeds, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp sage, 1 tsp tarragon . . . and something else I can't remember right now. I put all the spices in my little garlic crushy thingy my Dad gave me for Christmas, and it did a nice job of breaking them up a bit.




Then I sprinkled in 2 tbsp of flour as a thickener, and let simmer a mo or two. Toss in 1 parsnip, cut into little cubes, 2 carrots, chopped up, 1 head of cauliflower, chopped up. Simmer till tender. Then it looked like there wasn't going to be enough liquid, even for a stew, so I added another splash of wine, and 2 cups of veggie broth. Added 2 cups of cooked white beans, 1/2 cup or so of frozen peas, and let all the flavours hang out a bit to develop.

Served over barley, cooked in veggie broth, which was delicious. The whole thing was incredibly tasty and healthy and wonderful. It will be made again.

The whole thing was amazing, and my apartment smelled incredible. It made sooooo much stew, we each ate a heaping bowl, a serving went to paying of my debt to Xta (gotta love that barter system) and Paul has eaten another serving today for lunch. There are still at least 3 or 4 servings left.

4 comments:

Christa Giles said...

Can't wait... all that veggie goodness will counteract today's meals:

fruitcake and tortilla chips for breakfast

chai, ginger molasses cookie and caramel apple bar for lunch

mom's hearty-tho-chock-full-o-beef stew that came down from WL, and has been living in my freezer... tasty, but too much meat, no matter how tender, is not a good thing.

Looking forward to lunch on Monday :)

X.

Karyn said...

I have a book on my shelf called Jean's Beans. It isn't entirely vegetarian, but has an interesting section on Bean Desserts. I've had it for about 4 years; I've never cooked a thing from it. And as much as I'd like to think I will magically transform into a Bean Conossieur, history would indicate otherwise. So if you would like to borrow it (say for the next four or five years)that would be OK with me.

I can give this book credit with defining "Sufferin Succotash" for me. I'm sure my childhood cartoon experience would have been much more complete if I had known Sylvester wasn't just muttering randomly.

strawberrygirl said...

Katie, I just bought the book JIll has been cooking from...it looks amazing! There are so many great recipes to try.

Ahem...we use that garlic thingy for *tofu*...LOL:)

Katie said...

Tara, *tofu* was the first thing I ever used my garlic thingy for!!!