Friday, January 13, 2006

rediscovering

The following have both been rediscovered after an absence of nearly 10 years.

1) THE LIBRARY!!!

Wow, has it been that long? Yep, cause when I navigated my way onto the Vancouver Public Library website and logged myself in, it turns out I have a $0.50 fine from 1996 for some book I had on reserve about Generation X.

Did you know they give you books FOR FREE???? And they will ship them to the branch closest to you? It's incredible. They even have DVD's you can borrow AT NO COST. Amazing. I have 3 cookbooks and 1 documentary on order. I may never buy a book again.

Okay, that's a total lie, I'm addicted to buying books and I know it. But I am on a budget, so the library it is! Hurrah!

2) DRIED BEANS!!!!

I remember when I went to UVic eating a lot of dried beans (nicely soaked and cooked, that is) and that too was nearly 10 years ago.

I have to give credit where credit is due, so you should all know it was Jill who started the dried bean craze. Did you know a can of black beans can cost anywhere between $0.89 and $2.49 depending on the brand, and whether you hit a sale or not. And did you know that I went to my favourite bulk food store (favourite, though geographically undesirable unless I'm stopping by my parents place) earlier in the week and filled up a 1L jar of dried black beans for less than a dollar? And did you know when soaked and cooked that jar of beans will TRIPLE in size?

Hot dang!

So far this week I've soaked a cup of black beans, which turned into nearly 3 cups of black beans, and made our typical Tuesday night brown rice n beans dish (which made tasty leftovers last night for me, and a wrap for Xta's lunch yesterday, since she's terrified of rice and beans on their own, but disguised in a tortilla, she finds them quite tasty) and I'm currently soaking a cup of cannelini beans which will become this awesome stew inspired by Jill.

I'm going to see if the library has a book about beans.

Come to think of it, my Mom, who has unsuccessfully been trying to push beans on me for years, has a whole bean book at her house. I'll have to stop by for a visit today and see if I can find a turnip. Or a parsnip. Whatever.

Bean away!

4 comments:

Christa Giles said...

Funny, when you asked how I felt about white beans (there's another necessary adjective that is part of their name, but I don't remember what it is..)... I was immediately taken back to the kitchen of a boy (k, he was 15 years older than I was, but I still find it hard to say "man") I was dating a while back... and he was making something with white beans, that wound up being fairly tasty.

Not so tasty: he took advantage of my offer to do dishes in exchange for cooking, by deciding to let all his dishes stack up for the week, invite me over for dinner, and then suggest that I don't get dessert until after I washed all the dishes. Hm.

Also not tasty: boy/men who talk about how dominant they are (full on S&M lifestyle posturing) but then are incredibly insecure about EVERYTHING (height, weight, age, hairloss...) Guh! Feel sexy, no matter what, dammit! I'm not some $^&(* superficial girl from highschool! Geez!

./rant off


:)

Hm... I'm spending more time commenting on other people's blogs than actually creating anything new on mine.. I think I'm waiting for major news to share!

Anonymous said...

You gotta love the library. I love the library too, which I guess is why I became a librarian. But then I didn't want to ruin the public library for myself by working there so I wandered off in different directions. It's kinda too bad because when I worked there I got unlimited orders of things (instead of the 50 free per year or whatever) and paid NO FINES.

Anyhoo, I still love them, and I use their site every freakin day.

Anonymous said...

oh and ps: I am also trying to do the dried beans and lentils and whatnot thing instead of buying canned ones. I made a yummy split pea soup in my slow cooker the other day and it turns out that you don't need to pre-soak split peas if you are going to slow cook them. Handy!

Christa Giles said...

Reporting on white beans and barley: VERY tasty, and filling and all that warm, nourishy goodness that goes along with it... Num.

X.