Wednesday, January 18, 2006

chick peas




If you have ever read this blog before, you will know I've been on a bit of a bean kick. Again, credit must go to Jill for inspiring this whole thing, and credit must be passed along to Isa Chandra Moskowitz the author of Vegan With a Vengance who inspired the whole bean shanadagans in the first place.

Anyhoo, onto the Chick Pea, aka the Garbanzo bean, aka friggen delicious. Yummy in hummus, yummy in soup, stew, or just plain and dandy cold from a bowl. I usually toss about a half a cup or so into my spinach salad on Monday or Wednesday night for a little protein kick me up.

And here's why.

Chick-peas/1/2 cup cooked

Calories 135
Total fat (g) 2.1
Saturated fat (g) 0.2
Monounsaturated fat (g) 0.5
Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1
Dietary fiber (g) 6.2
Protein (g) 7
Carbohydrate (g) 23
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Sodium (mg) 6
Folate (mcg) 141
Manganese (mg) 0.8
Copper (mg) 0.3
Phosphorus (mg) 138

Nutritious AND delicious. And the re-hydrated dried ones DO taste better than the canned ones. I've been eating them raw all afternoon, they sure taste more pea-y that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like adzuki beans in peanut sauce...xoH

Christa Giles said...

I gotta say... I don't know if I should blame it on the beans and barley stew, or maybe the jujubes and Hot Tamales... but SOMETHING I ate on Sunday had me tied up in internal knots for two days.. ouch!

X-now-scared-of-beans :)