Wednesday, November 30, 2005

WARNING - THIS POST MAY CONTAIN FOUL LANGUAGE

As if any of my posts DON'T contain foul language. In fact, I have a bit of a reputation to maintain, such that, when I was off work, one of the staff who was replacing me told me that she tried to drop as many "F-Bombs" as possible, but she didn't think she'd met my quota.

Anyhoo, on to my rant.

All term, I have loved my math class, and excelled in my math class, and even when I thought I bombed a test, I truly didn't. I liked my teacher, in fact, I found him adorable, not in a sexy prof kinda way, but in an *I'd like to take him home and keep him in a room with fresh soft cedar sawdust and feed him small pieces of fruit* kind of way. And try as I might to find a way to turn off the clicky noise on my camera phone so that I might secretly take a picture of him and post it on this blog, I can't. So I have resorted instead, to finding a picture of Kip Dynamite, who I may say, bears an uncanny resemblance to Mr. Besler, minus about 15 - 20 years. Use your imagination.




Last Friday we were supposed to have a big midterm, worth 18% of our grade. I studied my toosh off, and even saw my lovely granola tutor an extra time that week, to be extra prepared. Additionally, I left work a few minutes early such that I could be at class early, stress free, and ready to dazzle with my miraculous math capabilities. As I neared the classroom, I knew something was awry. Students milling outside the door with both panicked and blissful looks upon their faces. The professor wasn't there. Class was cancelled. No exam.

(*This is the part where the cursing begins*)

What the fuck? No midterm? No prof? No word about what the hell was going on? While many of the students clutched their pencils and ran for their lives, I stayed in the class room talking to a few other students, until I was confident this really was real. He really wasn't showing. But what now? When will the midterm be? Monday? Tuesday? Is he obligated to give us some notice? How will we know?

So I went home, did other assignments, worked away, studied more math, saw the granola tutor another time, and then went to school on Monday. There we were again, sitting there, wondering what the hell was going on. 5-7 minutes goes by, and suddenly, in rushes this guy who looks like Geoff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber, and sounds like he's trying to make a funny voice. He tells us our midterm is about to begin, and then slaps the paper down on the desk in front of us. I'm kinda stunned, but pull out my pencil as fast as can be, and start crunching numbers. The girl who sits next to me is a heavy breather on the best of days, and she has a cold. This invigilator guy spends the entire time pacing around the room, and writing how much time we have left on the chalk board about every 3 minutes. This is all very distracting. And of course, since he arrived late, we ran out of time, and the majority of the class didn't finish the exam. Personally, I didn't even get to the last 2 problems, each worth 5 marks (test was out of 50).

Tuesday rolls around, and Teach is finally back. He has had a death in the family, and has been responsible for making arrangements. I'm very very sorry to hear this. He has a stack of miterms in his hand, already been marked (it normally takes about a week to get them back). They have been marked by the Geoff Daniels guy from yesterday. He has marked them differently than Teach normally marks them, so accordingly he has scaled them by adding 3 marks to each test. And that didn't make much fucking difference, cause the entire class bombed the test. And then Teach, visibly upset, had the audacity to stand up there and berate us for not studying enough.

The following are my issues:

-rescheduled the test with no notice
-invigilator was late to class, thus reducing time to write it
-invigilator was distracting to people trying to write the test
-someone other than the person who has marked the 3 previous tests marked this test

3 marks are supposed to make up for this?

And the kicker is that now he wants to schedule a 1.5 hour make up class for the one where there was no teacher, and he's scheduled it right in the middle of my fucking work day.

What the fuck?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

will this make up exam take the place of the 18% that the late guy marked? or do both now count? p

Christa Giles said...

Fuck 'im, he's a fuckingly fucked fucker.

Christa Giles said...

(am I surpassing your quota yet? I may need to work on that... actually, I think I've probably used "asshole" along with "fucking idiot" enough times in the last two months to get a reasonable lead...

X.

Katie said...

P - it's not a make up exam, it's a make up class.

X - I don't think you could possibly match was has been coming out of my mouth whilst flying solo here the past 6 weeks or so. Ask ANY of the staff, they'll tell you.

Christa Giles said...

I think it would be a good thing if you just started crying in the office one day... just sob "I can't do this anymore.. *choke* it's it's it's.. it's just too much!" and then bawl uncontrolably for five minutes.

Marianne Limpert used to talk about that as her method of dealing with Tom when she wanted a break from training...

X.

Anonymous said...

You should check the regs governing that sort of thing, KT. Departments generally have guidelines regarding make-up exams and when profs miss classes. He should have, at least, had someone from the office come in and tell you that class is cancelled and notified you before rescheduling the exam.

At least, my university had that.

This bites. Bite back.

Anonymous said...

I think you shouldn't settle for anything less than the actual Jeff Daniels coming in to moderate your next exam.
Fight the power!
The personal is political!
HT

strawberrygirl said...

Kip is so hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!