Thursday, November 10, 2005

Contest Contestant

In the spring there was this contest on the Food Network that I wanted to enter, but didn't. It was called 'The Superstar Chef Challenge' and the winner would get an opportunity to sit down with Food Network executives, and pitch and idea for their own show. I didn't enter, mainly because I was too embarrassed to have any of my friends tape me for the necessary 5 minute video of cooking/ loving the camera. Many friends offered, don't get me wrong, the support was there, I just didn't get around to it. Paul kept bugging me about that, saying that if I was going to do it on TV, I should be able to do it in front of him. I maintain that it would be easier in front of strangers. I know this is true (for me anyways), because when I teach courses I have no problem getting up infront of a group of strangers and making an ass out of myself, but if there is anyone I know in that group, it's another story.

So anyways, the contest finally aired, and I kicked myself hard for not entering. I thought I could have done as well as any of the 6 finalists they had on TV. The winner did have formal culinary training, which I do not, but I thought she was perhaps lacking some presence, and since I have not (yet) seen a show on the Food Network Starring her, I guess the executives agreed.

Now a second chance has been granted. They're doing the contest again. And this time, I'll enter, I swear I will. I have to have everything in and done by December 15th, so now it's brainstorming time. I have to create a 5 min tape of me cooking my 'signature dish' all the while hamming it up with the camera. I also have to send in a recent photo, a release form, and 100 word answers to 3 questions. I have decided on one friend who I feel alright about filming me, and since we've taught together before, I feel comfortable doing ass-making type things in front of her. Plus, she's got oodles of free time on her hands at the moment. So now I just have to figure out what I'll make, and how I'll squish it into 5 minutes, or how to edit a video. It's all very exciting.

5 comments:

Karyn said...

Hey Katie, if you need some help with the editing, I'm willing to help and have access to Adobe Premiere...

;P

kimberley said...

I would suggest my favourite, small tomatoes on hard bread slices, but I don't think it's got enough pizazz. Not that your small tomatoes on hard bread slices didn't have pizazz.............you know what I mean.

Christa Giles said...

I'm so thrilled to do this... I say we shoot 15 different things, twice each.. (did you mention I have a LOT of time on my hands?) .. and then we'll wind up using the first or second take anyway :)

Hm.. does stuffed squash have enough panache? Or do too many people have strong negative feelings about squash? It should be something veggie, that non-veggies dig, or that you could toss a handful of meat onto and still have it be nummy AND decorative...

erikat said...

You've got to do it. The university I go to has a bi-yearly no fiction contest for which the prize is a $10 000 (yes, four zeros) scholarship to travel. The opportunity came for me to enter a year ago--the last of my scholastic career--but I didn't. And you know what? I could have done so so so so much better than the girl who won. I mean better like you wouldn't believe.
It was so depressing. Do not miss your chance and suffer my ill fate!
;]

strawberrygirl said...

2 words. Katie muffins:) Enough said....

Good luck Chick, you rock!!!!