Tuesday, January 06, 2009

spending plan

I don't know if you're supposed to work out a savings plan before a spending plan, but I figure getting my spending under control will be the first step. Once spending is under control I should be able to figure out how much I have available for debt re-payment and savings, without feeling deprived or having to dip into savings or depend on credit card use because I've over extended myself.

The plan:

I'm going to continue using my credit card for gas and groceries (groceries do NOT include specialty foods or treats) because they are fairly constant and I can earn airmiles on those purchases. I always pay of my credit card in full each month, never every carrying a balance (even if it sometimes has meant dipping into that line of credit), and will continue to do so (without dipping).

I am going to give myself $60 cash each week for day to day spending including any specialty food items, treats, wine, coffee out, etc. I am also going to allocate $100 cash each month for 'fun money' which I can blow on anything . . . drinks out, contraban, what have you. When on a food diet I've always believed that planned indulgences help keep you on track the rest of the time, so I don't see why a money diet would be any different. This $100 that I don't have to be accountable for is my indulgence money. Any cash remaining at the end of the week or month I am going to stash away in a fund for clothing and gifts.

The point is not to feel deprived, but to have some control and awareness of my spending. I'll try this out for a while, and re-evaluate.

No comments: