Friday, July 14, 2006

continued . . .

From Xta: What one thing/person/activity would bring you the most non-temporary joy, if you could add it to your life right now?

A: A three fold question deserves a three fold answer. . .

Thing: A new mattress! My god how I hate our mattress. When Paul and I moved in together my Dad built us (me) a beautiful oak bed as a housewarming present. We had this shitty old mattress which belonged to Paul, and it was killing my back, so we decided it was time for a new one. The mattress was to be our first joint purchase as a couple. Sleep Country was having a sale, so we went there and perused their mattress selection. Truth be told, we probably spent less than 45 min in the store lying on beds, rolling around, bouncing up and down. We settled on this one in particular, and they happened to be selling the demo model for a significant discount. Thing with the demo model was it didn't come with the 60 night guarantee all of their other mattresses come with, so once we bought it, we were stuck with it. I voiced my concerns, but Paul PERSONALLY GUARANTEED that the mattress would be fine, and threw jabs at me like, "Why don't you take a risk for once in your life?" and, "Sorry I was ever born." and it turned into the most ridiculous fight ever, in the middle of sleep country, in front of the mattress salesman. So we bought the friggen thing, and low and behold, I hate it. It's too soft, I feel like I'm sinking, my intercostal muscles hurt when I get up in the morning. Paul loves it, and not having to listen to him bitch about not being able to sleep is almost worth it. A new mattress is number one on my list of things to buy when budget allows.

Person: Jenn P. She's been gone for too long, and I want her back. Having her back in town would really round out my circle of girlfriends, plus I'll have to start taking biology classes soon, so I could really use her as a tutor.

Activity: SLEEP! I can't get enough of it. Mostly due to the crazy early hours I work, and the fact that the rest of the world keeps a different schedule, and I'm always up WAAAAAAY past my bedtime. The first thing I think about every morning at 4:30 am when my alarm goes off is canceling my afternoon plans so I can come home and nap. I can't remember my last nap.

Sleeeeeeeep on a good mattress with a big fluffy duvet with Jenn P. I've heard she's a bed wetter.

6 comments:

Karyn said...

Maybe if you invite the bed wetter over she can motivate the purchase of a new one...

Christa Giles said...

LOL Nice answer Karyn.

It is 2:41.. and this is shaping up to be the third night in a rown where I get less than 6 hours sleep.. due to hooping. Guh. My thought tonight was "damn, I wish I didn't have to teach NLS tomorrow.. I could just nap on the grass at the Folk Music Festival..."... but I will swallow the bitterness and go play with the fun kiddies.. and then race back to the festival.

Now to see whether I get enough sleep to actually make the morning stage shows before I head to the pool.. (or wake up painfully early, and go into the pool to eat more yummy brown rice pudding!)

Do you think the quality of life would improve greatly enough that the purchase of a new mattress (and better sleep) would offset the stress of having more debt?

X.

Katie said...

No more debt!

Anonymous said...

Gah, I hear you Xta. I walked in after a hellish two and half weeks at work on Friday to an AWSI thinking "I want to go HOME, and go to BED."

And Katie, I have a fairly firm queen-size mattress in storage if you like to have. Free. It was used for about 6 months before we got a pillowtop.

Oh and its in Kelowna, but transport can be arranged.

Karyn said...

And Geoff still keeps his hard as plywood queen size bed tucked up against the wall in our bedroom, in wait of the day I say, "You are right dear, your bed is so much better than mine, what was I thinking? Let's switch beds right now." As far as I'm concerned, you can have it (delivered) this afternoon...

Karyn said...

Ok, new question. What childhood liberty do you miss most? (No, you cannot use sleep as the answer. That wouldn't be fun.)