Tuesday, December 05, 2006

perfect attendance

Yesterday was my last day of classes for the semester. I didn't miss a single class all semester. They give out some sort of a prize for that, right?

I don't know what it was that made this semester so tough for me. I had really great professors, and (in my books) a pretty manageable schedule - though I won't miss finishing work at 1pm and having to rush across town for a 1:30 class. Whatever it was, I survived it, and I'm really looking forward to my finals being over by 1pm on December 15th. Then I get to relax.

Work has been an enormous source of stress over the past few months. Really, work has been insane for nearly 14 months, when my beloved partner Christa went on stress leave and I tried my best to juggle both of our jobs as best I could, followed by Christa coming back to work 3 months later, but quickly making the (right) decision that this is not a good place for her to be, and so resigning. A month or so later Meghan arrived and I spent some months adjusting to having a new partner who just wasn't Christa! By the end of the summer I felt like Meghan and I had developed a good understanding about how we wanted to work together, and things were settling down nicely when BOOM! Our general manager was fired. I do believe he deserved it, but initially it was one of those "be careful what you wish for" type situations, since he had been the only person who knew how to troubleshoot a variety of mechanical problems. There were some high stress moments over the last 3 months as a result, but in the past few weeks things have started to feel like they are under control, if not a bit better than they were before. A new manager has been hired and is scheduled to start work on Dec 18th, so things will go topsy turvy once more adjusting to new leadership. I look forward to the new manager with some trepidation.

8 comments:

Karyn said...

Really? Wow! We definitely need to catch up. Presumably post-exams. Email me when you find a hole in your schedule!

Christa Giles said...

You've held it together really well... and I miss working with you, too. ./sniff I'm just getting scheduled for a couple regular days at Three Bags Full, and while I'm looking forward to returning to active, multi-tasking work with real, live humans every day, the folks in there just ain't you. (okay, I miss Steve and Derrick too, but mostly you...)

Who is the new manager? Someone we discussed, or someone else?

Katie said...

Someone else. Someone actually qualified.

kimberley said...

new manager, eh?

three questions:

1. is he re-claiming chris' old office?

2. is he hot?

3. hotter than chris?

Katie said...

1. Yes. Take THAT TJ!

2. I don't know, I've never laid eyes on him.

3. I think it would be nearly impossible not to be.

Anonymous said...

Good to see everyone has their priorities straight re: the new manager.

Any influence on programming on his end?

At any rate, enjoy the vacuum.

Christa Giles said...

Ooh! A qualified manager, under the oversight (how does that manage to mean the opposite of overlook?) of the University? Nice... I'm mildly jealous :)

X.

(if he's hot, consider setting him up with one of your spinster friends :)

kimberley said...

yeah! or to make things even MORE awkward, consider setting him up with meghan!!!!!


p.s. congratulations on perfect attendance! i had no idea what a committed supernerd you were!