Friday, December 08, 2006

Adopt-A-Family

At work we've decided to get into the holiday spirit with some meaningful charity. We're involved with the Salvation Army's "Adopt-A-Family" program, which matches people/families/businesses with a family in need to put together a holiday hamper for. Once you are matched with your family you are sent a very brief description to help you figure out what sort of things should go in the hampers. We are sponsoring two families, both single mothers with young children. The hampers are going to be filled with things like clothes and toys for the children, small gifts for the mom's, non-perishable food items, some perishable food for holiday dinners OR grocery store cards, books, useful household items, etc.

If you would like to get involved you can a) get in touch with me and contribute a cash or item donation to our families, or b) check out the Adopt-A-Family program and get involved with a group of your co-workers, friends, or family to put together a hamper of your own.

Apparantly sponsorship of this program is down 25% this year, and that means that up to 75 needy families may not get the extra help over the holidays they need. Deadline for getting involved with a new family is Dec 11th. You can contribute to the two families we are sponsoring up until Dec 21st.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

i can contribute about 90 sidekicks instant mashed potatoes. and then some!

kimberley said...

wtf is this "k" business? why am i "k"? conspiracy...

Katie said...

We'll take your potatoes, K!

Karyn said...

Katie, I believe it's a lower case "k". Like, seriously?

Katie said...

My apologies.

We'll take your potatoes, k.

kimberley said...

o-k!!!! pun intended.

Christa Giles said...

I honestly just spent 30 seconds deciding whether to postpone posting a comment because my name didn't start with K.

A "k"-ish sound probably doesn't cut it, eh?

HEY! My word verification code starts with K! That makes it OK, right?

kimberley said...

wrong.









but a name change makes it legally okay. krista?

Anonymous said...

I thought I commented already, but apparently not. I really hate this word verificaiton thing.

At any rate:

Y'all are nuts.

I have clothes, household goods, etc to contribute to your Adoptafamily drive. Adult clothes, mind. You want, I bring to work and drop off at your place after.

Is a wine rack a suitable thing to include?

Katie said...

Thanks Nicole,

We've been given specific sizes for clothing for the kids, but not for the parents, so I'd say you'd be best to donate the clothes and stuff elsewhere. A wine rack . . . well, uh, I don't think so. If they can't afford clothes and toys and food for their kids at Christmas, I hope they're not buying wine.

Thanks though.

Anonymous said...

Okie doke. Teddy bears? I have lots of those.

And I was being facetious about the wine rack :)

Katie said...

Bring on the bears!

Christa Giles said...

Blogger doesn't like me.. I tried to post a question last night to ask: Do you think the moms would appreciate a hoop? Lemme know...

X.

Frickin' Google/Blogger. Fourth attempt...

Katie said...

A hoop? Hmm. Maybe. Perhaps the 11 yr old girl would like one. Or the mom's. Or the 3 yr old boy. Who knows? Who doesn't like hoops?