Saturday, June 03, 2006

crappy week, great news

This has been one of the most frustrating weeks I can remember at work. I don't want to vent too much since I know there are people who are on my staff who read this blog, and I don't want to be as unprofessional as certain people have been. Suffice to say, I am a lifeguard, not a filter technician, and the fact that I have been abandoned at work to deal with the most major filtration problems I have seen in the four years I have been there is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever. I've clocked a ton of overtime, said many bad words in front of my staff and plant ops, and swim coaches, learned that I have never been hugged by the 'most huggy guy on staff' (though he rectified that misdoing today with a surprise and suprisingly pleasant hug in the staff room), and nearly been reduced to tears of frustration in the middle of an international swim meet.

And then on Friday afternoon, at the end of my day, in the middle of a vent, I received the following text message from my dad:

"Latest PSA test good 5 years cancer free today"

And that made it all worth while.

4 comments:

Christa Giles said...

Heh, am I one of those certain people who have been unprofessional? Can I blame it on the rage?

Anyway, glad your week is over, hope you don't go through another one like it... and congrats to your dad :)

I just talked to mine, and the cells he just got checked out are "pre-cancerous" so they're going to keep an eye on things over the next few years on the internal stuff, and treat the red skin cells on his face in the next month or so, but the early detection makes it sound like there's nothing for us to worry about. ./whew

X.

Katie said...

Nope, wasn't referring to you. Was referring specifically to the person I think I have been abandoned by.

Good news about your dad.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for fixing the filtres :) Its greatly appreciated on this end.

Good news on your dad and yours too, Xta. My dad had pre-cancerous cells on his head (the top), and ended up with one treatment at the oncologist and a month or two of some sort of topical antibiotic/chemo treatment. And it seems to have worked.

kimberley said...

Sorry Katie, I just couldn't resist running off in my large white vehicle whenever anything was about to break down.

That's great about your Dad, Katie. And yours too, Christa...and yours too, Nicole. It's good to know that people are out there getting things checked out and/or diagnosed nice and early.