Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Where are all the physios?

Of course the week that I'm working 2 back to back full time jobs, the latter of the 2 teaching the physically demanding NLS course, my back decides to go out. Now my back has bugged me since I was about 17, and gives me moderate heck regularly, but a full on agonizing spazm where I can't stand up right or walk properly about every 2 years. Yep, it's that one. Started creeping up yesterday morning while I was in the middle of rushing around, frantically cooking (hamburger helper with veggie ground round and broccoli. Yummmm.) and doing last minute prep for NLS. Started pounding advil, but it was seemingly futile. By the time I got to the pool I was teaching at, I had developed a noticible limp. By the time the class started an hour later, I was bent over, and it just crept up and up and up my back, until at 10pm when the class ended, I literally was bent nearly at a 90 degree angle.

Get up this morning, manage to drive myself to work, attempt to set things up for rental groups to no avail (the lovely SFU swim coach had to actually help to pick me up off of the ground, where I had thought that maybe if I knelt down and slid stuff around it would be better than lifting, which it was, only the stuff tipped over and I couldn't reach it, and then couldn't stand back up) so just hobbled back to my office. Now I am trying in vein to find anyone, ANYONE who can work on my back. My usual physio is on holidays for the summer, no one in her office can see me until tomorrow morning. Both of the physios on campus are fully booked, and the massage therapists aren't in for another few hours. Argh. No amount of the cocktail I've mixed of advil, robaxacet, and t3's seems to let this up at all. The tiny smidge of sliver lining in all this is that there is a second instructor there for most of the course I'm teaching . . . bless Joel, he's a star.

No comments: