Friday, March 06, 2009

dissapointed in humanity

I have come to believe that I must expect too much of people.

When I send out an email invite to an event, say, a girls night or a birthday party or any other kind of shin dig, I expect that the recipients of said email will take the one or two minutes out of their day to reply whether the answer is yes, no, or I don't know.

When I send an email to my staff trying to cover a shift or get a training session organized, I expect a reply whether they are able to work the shift or attend the session or not. Common courtesy, no?

When I send a text message to a classmate asking whether they'd like to meet for lunch in a patch of sun, I expect them to reply whether they want to/are able to or not. I don't expect no response whatsoever, and then a cheery, "How was your lunch? Did you find a patch of sun?" when I get to class.

And when I book a caterer for my wedding a whole year in advance, and then contact that caterer six months away from said wedding to start working on menu planning, I expect a) the caterer will return my calls and emails in a timely fashion, b) I still have a caterer, c) when said caterer FINALLY responds to me and bails on catering my wedding, they will APOLOGISE and then provide a list of alternate contacts for catering a summer weekend wedding just five months away.

My expectations must be unreasonable.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I used to say, "When in doubt, lower your expectations."

And your caterer sucks. Do you want me to get a list from the coworkers who deal with this on a regular basis?

Katie said...

Sure, if they have any contacts on the Sunshine Coast. We will use a caterer from Vancouver as a last resort, but would rather not deal with the added expenses of travel and lodging if we don't have to.

HT said...

oh no! sucky.
i'm sure it will all work out. let me know if you need any help. xoxo h

Anonymous said...

Super bummed for you.