Monday, February 09, 2009

week five report

I had a pretty cranky week, but the money diet went well. I managed to not do any emotional spending, though I wish I could say the same for eating.

I spent $10 at the beginning of the week on chocolate vaginas. Chocolate vagina time is my favourite time of year at UBC, and trust me, buying only five of them was seriously holding myself back.

I was battling crazy foot pain all week and spent $5 on one of those flexible gel ice packs I can keep in my office fridge freezer so I can more easily ice after every run. Near the end of the week I figured out that the cause of the crazy foot pain was my shoes so had to go out and drop $180 on new ones. That was AFTER discount. But I just went for a pain free long run with tempo pieces, so totally worth it. That clearly didn't come out of the $60/week. I'm still not sure how to deal with those kind of purchases on the money diet, but I did teach a course on Friday afternoon that will more than cover the new shoes and I'll just put the money on my credit card right away.

One of the people in the course I taught on Friday was a girl on my staff whose family has an organic dairy in Creston and is in their first year of producing their own amazing organic cheese. She had a big shipment of cheese to sell at the farmers market and I told her I'd be happy to work on the barter system, so she paid her course fees in cheese. Horray!

$20 went to a Saturday night bottle of wine. Our first bottle was a great Portugese, and our second was a Malbec I was given for my birthday. Both delish. Friends of our popped by and dragged us downtown to the Saturday night spot our DJ friend plays at. Paul and I agreed to each take $20 and get in early, get out early. We stuck to our money budgets and left at our previously agreed upon time.

A super cranky week ended well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not bad. Plus you can't chintz out on new shoes, if you need them you need them. I got the pleasure of blowing 350 on 3 beautiful maternity tops (they're yours when you need them, no pressure) guilt free though as they are courtesy of D and T. xxxooo