Sunday, March 09, 2008

deconstructing the muffin myth

Muffins are, I think, an unfortunately misunderstood food. Misunderstood in that many people will grab a muffin from a coffee shop, bakery, grocery store, whathaveyou, honestly believing they are making a healthy choice. Sadly, most of the time they are not. The majority of these manufactured muffins are deceptively loaded with fats and sugars and are lacking in fibre. When spending some daily calories on the muffin, we may as well be eating a nice piece of cake. Really, we pretty much are.

I want to deconstruct the muffin myth, and reconstruct the identity of the muffin into what it should be - nourishing, filling, low fat, high fibre, healthy. My goal: reconstruct 100 muffin recipes. Or perhaps 99, since my bran muffin recipe will definitely get tossed in the mix. I'm going to need muffin testers, recipe testers, and recipes. If you have a muffin recipe (or just a type of muffin)you love and wish it was something healthier, but just as tasty or tastier than it already is, fire it in my direction and I'll tinker with it. If you love to bake and you want to help me test out the new recipes, let me know and I'll fire them in your direction and welcome feedback. If you love to eat muffins (hehe) let me know and if you're local, I'll give you some muffin samples for you to scrutinize.

Let the muffin revolution begin!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I've been enjoying your bran muffins a lot! Made a big batch like 3 months ago and put them in my backpack for super easy free snacks at school/work.
Sooooooo... what about a healthy pumpkin spice type of thing?
Cammykins

Katie said...

Pumpkin spice is on the list!

Anonymous said...

-banana chocolate chip
-morning glory (not sure what's in this one, but lots of cafes or bakeries have them)
-zucchini yumminess
p

Katie said...

That banana loaf you tried today can be made into muffins too. I'll make the next test batch into muffins and bring them by . . . going to make 2 changes and see if it's an improvement or not.

Anonymous said...

and damn was that banana loaf good! i ate the rest of it this morning at work :)

p

Christa Giles said...

If I update my blog, can I be eligible for muffin tasting? :) Was actually talking to Chris about maybe trying some muffin-mix action for some instant baked-goodness mornings... so we may be up for recipe testing, too!

Little Nest makes an apple almond ricotta muffin that makes my heart sing!