Monday, January 07, 2008

the updated muffin recipe

This is the fat free low sugar bran muffin recipe I developed and made famous during my Weight Watchers days. I've been continually tweaking it over the years, and I think it's absolutely perfect right now. I make a batch about once a week and throw them in the freezer. Paul and I each eat one every day. They are just about the most branny muffins you'll ever find, so if your system isn't used to a lot of fibre, you'll need to work up to eating one every day.

Katie's Bran Muffins

1 cup apple sauce, pumpkin puree, or grated zucchini
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 eggs
2 cups skim milk (I use 2 cups water and 2 Tbsp skim milk powder)
3 cups wheat bran
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates (dates make the most moist muffin)

Take the raisins or chopped dates and put them in a small bowl. Pour hot water over them, and let them sit for a few min while you are mixing the rest of the stuff up. This will add mega moisture to the muffins.

Preheat your oven to 400. Mix the wet stuff, add the dry stuff, then drain the water out of the dates or raisins, and add them in too. Take your non-stick muffin cups and give them a teeny little spray of canola out of your enviro friendly refillable kitchen pumper spraying thingy. Spoon mix evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20 min. Enjoy!

I'm no longer sure of the points value of one of these suckers, and I no longer have the tools to find out. Maybe one of you in the know can figure it out for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you sent this - thanks! I am making a shopping list for the weekend and all the ingredients are on it! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello Katie...

Just a question: are these muffins basically what you would subsitute if you had allbran in the mornings or are they a bit more calorie heavy, ie sugar etc in them?

I usually have a bowl of all bran in the morning but i would not mind an alternative that is just as good without the calorie count upping.

Katie said...

I don't know how they compare to Allbran calorie wise, but I know they are dense and filling and fat free and low sugar and get me through my morning. There is much more to food than the calorie count . . .

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, just tossed back my first delicious bran muffin. I added raspberries so as to encourage "the tim" to eat them too. Hey, can you make a healthy hot crossed buns recipe? I love those things, but they make me feel guilty...
Cam

Liminal Me said...

I finally made these for the first time last night. Wow - they're amazing! And very little fat. Thanks for the recipe!