Tuesday, September 11, 2007

glorious summer holidays

Aaaaaahhhh, the long awaited blog update . . .

The calculus exam over, Playland conquered, and rest and relaxation on the menu, we packed up and headed to the blissfully tranquil Sunshine Coast. The majority of our time was spent chilling at our property on Soames Point, just a few km away from Gibsons, BC. My family has an acre of waterfront property (which my Grandfather had the foresight to buy a long, long time ago, athough he did not, unfortunately, buy the property next door due to it's hefty pricetag of $500.00) which has awesome views of the mountains, harbour seals slapping away out front, easy beach access, good training grounds for Paul, great vegetable gardens, fruit trees, blackberries . . . needless to say, I wish I was still there. I didn't accomplish much, other than reading three books; the final installment of the Harry Potter series, the 100 Mile Diet (which should be required reading for every human being), and Charlotte's Web. We also picked more blackberries than will fit in our freezer (most are still in the deepfreeze at the cabin), drank copious amounts of beer, and ate more doughnuts than I'd care to admit. I woke up every morning and made a cup of tea, then wandered down the terraced garden to check on which vegetables had ripened overnight; peas, beans, beets, zucchini, a variety of lettuces, potatoes, lots of fresh herbs. What didn't come from the garden came from a neighbour's garden, or from the organic farm just past town.

We took a two day respite from the cabin to travel further up the coast than we'd been before. We headed off to Earl's Cove (I drove, and Paul rode his bike the 84km of non-stop hills) where we hopped on another ferry and glided into some really unspoiled paradise. After just less than an hour on the ferry we arrived in Saltery Bay, where we camped for two nights. It was so fantastically awesome, so relaxing, so beautiful, I felt overwhelmed with joy on a number of occassions. We pimped up our camping gear with a new delux queen-sized air mattress, so the sleeps were perhaps more comfy than in our bed at home.

This vacation, along with some choice reading material, has really made me desperately want to live somewhere I can grow things. Paul and I had some pretty serious talks about the possibility of living on the coast in the future, and either making work happen from there or commuting to town. We can figure out the logistics later.

Some pictures of the glorious holiday:

The view from the house.



On the ferry to Saltery Bay.



A feat of extreme engineering - our campsite.



Some wine and cheese on the water at Saltery Bay.



Soooo gorgeous!



Blackberries!



Pie!



And the cutest dog in the entire universe.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures!!

You are looking very svelt

Christa Giles said...

Aw, Buddy! :)

You deserve more time that brings you great joy... choose that life, it is totally worth it!

BTW, I'm totally digging HP.. but how dark is this story? Gosh.. My need for sleep is warring with my need to find out what happens next!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Katie. Glad you had a chance to relax.

Also, if you're willing to sell some of the blackberries, I'll buy them off you. I have 10lbs of blueberries (which were damn expensive this year due to all the rain) and blackberries will look very nice next to them.

Anonymous said...

oh my god
that sounds so good!
i am glad you got some time off.
maybe next summer, adam, kai and I could come up to Gibsons for a little visit?... :)
it sounds perfect.

xoxo.h

Unknown said...

Glad you had a nice time! The pictures are beautiful. Now that we're both back in time, let's set up a time to go for din dins!

Anonymous said...

duh I meant back in town. It's still early!

Katie said...

Rebecca - those are the BEFORE copious donuts/beer and no exercise photos.

Xta - I'm trying to choose it!

Nicole - I'm not parting with a single berry!

Tro - this summer I had a strict no visitor policy, and enjoyed it that way . . . soooo tranquil.

Anne - I'm in! Lets set it up!

Anonymous said...

Fine. BE that way :)

S'alright. I think the blueberries (which I prefer, anyways - sniff), will get me through at least part of the winter :>

Anonymous said...

mmmmm...Gibson's blackberries....