Wednesday, November 05, 2008

yes we can! but no you can't.

I watched President-elect Obama's acceptance speech last night with tears in my eyes. I, like many of you, was standing on the edge of hope. I hope this will change the world for the better. History has been made, progress has happened, a black man, who just 40 years ago wouldn't have been able to drink out of the same water fountain or sit next to a white person on a bus, is the next President of the United States. And how sad that on the same evening as such a wonderful achievement, the people of California, Florida, and Arizona voted yes to proposition 8, banning same sex marriages. I am sad beyond words over it. Progress is supposed to move forwards, not in the other direction. Yes we can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 steps forward, 1 step back. It's better than nothing.

Katie said...

It's more like one step forwards, two steps back since same sex couples had the right to marry in those states, and now it has been taken away. And in Arkansas they voted away the ability for same sex couples to adopt. So it's not better than nothing, anonymous, it's discrimination.

Anonymous said...

I knew not to leave my name when I said that... fair enough.

Anonymous said...

p.s.- Katie it's just me, don't hate me!

Anonymous said...

Katie, did you see this video of Keith Olbermann on MSNBC discussing Prop 8 / Gay Marriage? It's an amazingly articulated comment, and worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHyy8gkNEE

Kimberley