Saturday, February 09, 2008

good advice

Contrary to what the comments section of my previous post may indicate, I have been getting a lot of really good feedback on the business plan. The advice coming from people who are in the know about such things is the same - keep it simple, and say what it is.

My Dad thinks I should be getting this done professionally - branding, that is. Although I'm sure I knew in the back of my mind that branding was a thing, until this week I didn't really understand what that thing entailed. Branding, I'm told, is an intensive project which will leave me with a cohesive look, word mark, colour scheme, and logo. Such a project is thought to run around $1000, which my Dad has offered to put up (with payback plan of course).

My sister has offered some sage advice about using words which for search engine optimization, and how to set up words and information on a site which will help me get indexed high up in Google.

I have had one name suggestion which I really like, and I like how it was come up with. All will be revealed at a later date if I decide to go this route.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether professional branding is the way to go, or whether I want to take this new name (which does what it says on the tin) and use the website I had used before for business cards, letterhead, and promo gizmos. I change my mind about every five seconds, so until that slows down I suppose I'll keep thinking about it.

I've got another project on the brew I'll need some feedback on too . . . stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess since you're trying to market yourself to professional corporations, the branding might be a good investment. p.s. say hi to David for Tim and I!

Anonymous said...

I'll email you more detailed thoughts later, but based on personal experience of watching a small online business grow, you don't really need to spend money on branding and style at the outset.
I'm biased towards online, but I'd spend any initial money on getting a decent website set up, where you can publish a schedule, people can book online & get an email confirmation back, etc.
I would largely ignore the offline stuff (letter head, pens, etc) because you can probably do it yourself to a good enough standard for a small start up. I can also send you reams of info on branding if you want it, since I happen to live with a highly respected brand consultant!
Anyway, talk later.

ET

Anonymous said...

what about

"A Friend in Need"
"Ordinary Angels" (I like this one)
"Heroes at Home" (i know it's for the workplace, too, but whatevs.)

ht

Anonymous said...

i like custom heart a lot, too.